Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maple Pecan Paleo Protein Cakes

- Maple Pecan Paleo Protein Cakes -

Remember Sandies? Those amazing pecan shortbread cookies - they are definitely one of these things some of us LOVE and some of us can't stand, obviously I'm one of the LOVE people. Although these aren't too reminiscent of the buttery, white sugar, bleached flour goodness of my past.... these actually tricked me into thinking I was eating dessert for breakfast. 

So I just bought Hemp Protein, why you ask? Hemp protein contains all nine of the life essential amino acids that our bodies require: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Valine, Histidine. Hemp protein contains an almost perfect balance of essential fatty acids (EFA’s) Omega-3 and -6, a high content of fiber, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. But I won't lie I do NOT like the taste... like not one bit. What's a girl to do? Find some dominant flavors that will compliment the weird nuttiness of the Hemp Protein... TA DAAAAA!

Quick note to you worried about the fat content in nuts - There are several scientific studies that have shown that pecans help protect your nervous system, have heart healthy antioxidants, are cholesterol lowering, and increase your metabolic rate! http://www.ilovepecans.org/nutrition.html for more info.

What you will need:

-1 Cup of pecans, chopped or food processed to nice little bits
-2 TB Coconut Flour
-2 TB Hemp Protein - I bought Bob's Red Mill brand that you can find at most Whole Foods
-2 TB Maple Syrup - I bought Whole Foods Organic Grade A (You can sub for Agave!)
-1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
-1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
-1/2-1 Tsp Cinnamon (I love cinnamon so I did a full tsp)
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Almond Milk - or milk of your choice
-2 Egg Whites
-1 Full Egg

-Coconut oil for your baking sheet or parchment paper

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle. I chose to use my nifty little food processor Greg's mom got us (thank you Cathy!) but if you are without just chop up your pecans into nice little bits. Like this...
Before:
 After:


After you chop them up place them in a decent sized bowl. Add in your dry ingredients: coconut flour, hemp protein, baking soda, cinnamon and stir well. Yes hemp protein makes everything look a little odd.


Next add in your egg/egg whites and vanilla. Next add in maple syrup, than 1/4 almond milk. The batter seemed a bit thick to me so I added 1/4 cup more almond milk but honestly I think it was a little too much so maybe just add a dash until you have a good workable consistency. 


I forgot parchment paper AGAIN so I tried to oil the pan well with coconut oil. They shouldn't need too much room in between your cakes as they rise upwards but not really outwards. Note: my first batch came out slightly better using a cool pan - so if you need to do multiple batches let the pan cool a little!


I baked them for about 9-10 minutes and pulled them out as they will cook a little more after you bring the pan out. I let them sit for a few minutes than transferred to cooling racks.


Now my favorite part of this EAT! The texture was awesome.. kinda chewy, kinda crunchy all together YUM and best part? Did NOT taste like hemp protein - mission accomplished! If you want them a little more moist spread a little coconut oil on top or if you want to be a little naughty sprinkle some maple syrup on top! I made about 11 good sized cakes - if you want more snack size just make a bunch of small dollops! 

Nutrition Break down:

11 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories107.5
  Total Fat8.4 g
     Saturated Fat0.7 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat2.3 g
     Monounsaturated Fat4.4 g
  Cholesterol0.0 mg
  Sodium81.0 mg
  Potassium53.8 mg
  Total Carbohydrate5.9 g
     Dietary Fiber2.0 g
     Sugars2.8 g
  Protein3.1 g
  Vitamin A0.8 %
  Vitamin B-120.0 %
  Vitamin B-61.2 %
  Vitamin C0.2 %
  Vitamin D1.1 %
  Vitamin E4.5 %
  Calcium1.8 %
  Copper6.5 %
  Folate0.6 %
  Iron1.8 %
  Magnesium3.5 %
  Manganese25.2 %
  Niacin0.6 %
  Pantothenic Acid    0.9 %
  Phosphorus    3.2 %
  Riboflavin0.8 %
  Selenium0.6 %
  Thiamin4.8 %
  Zinc3.3 %


*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.




Until next recipe! Happy health & fitness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment