Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Paleo Donuts. Oh yes.

Paleo Donut Experiment:

(This is how my experiments start - I pull out anything that could be semi-relevant)


I literally have not had a donut since I was maybe 19-20? I've been gluten free for three years and paleo for about one and a half. I was talking to a friend the other night and randomly was like "what about paleo donuts?!", maybe 10 minutes later I was ordering a donut pan with my Amazon Prime account and was ecstatic when it arrived. This is an experiment that most definitely went RIGHT. Nom nom nom...

Base Donut Recipe (makes 6ish standard size):
I quadrupled this recipe and ended up with 36 donuts somehow... whoops.

-4 large eggs, room temperature (I used omega cage free eggs)
-¼ cup melted coconut oil (and some to grease the pan)
-½ cup coconut palm sugar or honey or maple (I quadrupled this recipe and did 1/2 palm sugar, 1/4             maple and 1/4 honey for kicks)
-¼ cup full-fat coconut milk from a can (scoop off the coconut cream and reserve for your frostings!)
-1 teaspoon raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-½ cup almond flour,
-¼ cup coconut flour
-½ teaspoon baking soda
-¼ teaspoon sea salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix your sugar of choice, eggs and melted coconut oil together until smooth and slightly fluffy. Mix in your coconut milk, vanilla, and vinegar. Mix in your salt, baking soda and slowly start to mix in your flours. Mix well to get any clumps out! It should be about the consistency of pancake batter. 

In your greased donut pan fill pan slightly more than 3/4 full and place in the over. Bake for 15-18 minutes - should be a nice golden brown on top. 

Now the fun part!! There are a million different varieties you can make and honestly they're pretty damn good on their own!

Dark Chocolate Coconut
Melt organic dark chocolate with a little almond/coconut milk and coconut oil - drizzle once they come out of the over and sprinkle on organic coconut flakes!

Maple bacon pecan - finely chop up bacon (I used uncured peppered bacon), mix together a little melted coconut oil, pure maple syrup & I added in just a little coconut cream to thicken it up. 

The only non-paleo glaze - butterscotch cinnamon. I had some butterscotch chips I wanted to use up so I melted them with a little almond/coconut milk and drizzled it on top with a little cinnamon.

Strawberry Chia Coconut Cream - Mash strawberries in a cup well, add in coconut cream and stir well and I added maybe 1TB of chia to thicken it up a bit (no added sugar!)



Because I still had a lot of batter I also made a quick, easy lemon glaze of lemon juice, palm sugar, and  some shredded lemon rind. It wasn't the prettiest one but probably my favorite!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I never thought I would eat another donut. Well, this has certainly changed my view of them! Yummy & healthy????…a donut!!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete