Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fall = time for Kombocha Sage Bacon Soup


So I got these funny looking squashes from my dad turns out they are Kobocha squash, which I have been hearing a lot about lately. Weather here in SoCal is for lack of a better word... AWESOME. Sorry. But living near the coast we sometimes get a few weeks blanketing in the marine layer which makes me want to get all cozy and eat yummy soup... It was one of those mornings when I decided to tackle my unknown opponent.. I mean err ingredient.



Whatcha Need:

1-2 Medium Kobocha Squashes - halved & seeded (preheat oven to 400)
1 Package/1 Ounce/30ish Sage leaves divided - 1/3 leaves, 2/3 chopped
3 Uncured Thick Bacon Slices
1 Large Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 32oz Carton Organic Chicken Broth or 4 Cups homemade
2 Cups water
1 Tb Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)
Coconut Oil
Balsamic Vinegar - I used Fig & Orange from World Market


With your oven preheated to 400 place your squash cut side down on greased pans and roast until soft about 45 minutes-1 hour. When cool enough scrape flesh from the skin & blend in blender or bullet - used a tiny tiny bit of my almond/coconut milk to help it blend faster. - I know many people do it at the end but I feel like this is easier and I like the chunks of the other ingredients in the soup-

Find the smallest little saucepan and put enough oil to get a good 3/4-1 inch and heat it up to medium-high. Fry 1/3 of the sage, whole leaves, in small batches until crisp about 4-6 seconds and transfer to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.


Slice your 3 pieces of bacon into chunks and place at the bottom of a large soup pot and cook on medium-high heat, add in chopped onion and minced garlic, cook bacon until a place you would usually take the bacon off and consume - take out maybe 1/2 a slice of bacon and set on the paper towel with your fried sage. Add in the rest of your sage and stir. Stir here and there until very fragrant about a minute or two.


Add in your vinegar, broth, water and squash and stir well. If you're in a rush just let your soup meld for about 20 minutes but I cooked mine a good 40 minutes.


Serve in a bowl with some of your fried sage & bacon crushed on top, fresh ground black pepper and a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar.

SO GOOD! Again DON'T FEAR THE FAT! You can eat bacon & enjoy it... just I personally wouldn't every day. Hope you all enjoy this fall inspired soup! I bet this would be great with butternut or pumpkin in place of the Kobucha squash too!


No comments:

Post a Comment