Monday, June 20, 2011

If You're Going to Drink, Drink Smart!


Hope everyone had a great weekend!

It was my roommate & good friend Jenna's birthday and we had a great time, went out for a few drinks to celebrate last night, something I haven't done in quite some time. It was a great night with great friends!

With eating so healthy, working out and obviously not drinking.. I was quite a lightweight. Two Pomegranate Vodka & Soda Water's with Lime and I was quite happy. Like I said, you still need to live life and have fun - just do it smart! Such as...

My drink: Pomegranate Vodka - 69 calories an ounce - a shot is 1 to 1.5 ounces on average.
Soda water has no calories and a slice of lime has 1 calorie. See Nutrition Facts below.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/2 wedge or slice (1/8 of one 2" dia lime)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
Calories 1
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.01g0%
Saturated Fat 0.001g0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.002g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.001g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 0mg0%
Potassium 4mg
Total Carbohydrate 0.42g0%
Dietary Fiber 0.1g0%
Sugars 0.07g
Protein 0.03g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 0%Iron 0%

My drink is about 70-105 calories, you really only need one one or two depending on the occasion and basically no carbs! Compared to most of the beers I like are at least 150-200 calories and 20grams of carbs and you usually end up drinking 3-4 of them. Adds up fast!

Basically stay away from the sweet stuff. If you do not like the taste of alcohol and need something to help cover up the taste - there is still smart choices. Such as a mojito, the classic recipe is - white rum, soda water, mint, lime, and sugar or simple syrup BUT you can use agave syrup instead! This is a cool website to check out if you're unfamiliar with the benefits of Agave (http://www.allaboutagave.com/index.php) I get mine at Whole Foods.

Healthier Mojito:

10 fresh mint leaves
1/2 Lime - sliced into 4 wedges
1 tablespoon Agave Syrup, or to taste
1 1/2 Ounces (standard shot) white rum
1/2 cup club soda
1 cup ice

Muddle (smash basically) the mint and one lime slice, add the agave and the other two lime wedges and smash some more. Add the ice, pour the rum over, add soda water - stir, taste, add more agave if need be and garnish with the final lime.

This is just an example... If you still need some juice opt for something that is 100% juice, no added sugars (why do you need sugar with naturally sweet fruit anyway?), and I opt for something like pomegranate, acai, blueberry, cranberry - something that has some antioxidants in it too.

I made a really yummy sesame chicken salad with kidney beans I'll post about it tomorrow. Insomnia is still about the same but alas I must crawl into bed as I have another appointment with the Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow - wish me luck!

Wishing everyone health & happiness!


No comments:

Post a Comment