- Very first thing I do when I wake up is chug a big glass of water - sometimes it's tough to do but seriously, just do it. You'll get a bit of a headrush and you can just feel your body waking up. Plus it's a good idea for us coffee drinkers as your body is already dehydrated from sleep & coffee on top of that just makes it worse which can make you fatigued.
- If you do make a habit of purchasing coffee, don't do the drive through and as painful as it will be without any caffeine intake yet - park as far as you can away and walk. Wake up your body!
- Say you usually wake up at 7:00 every other week start setting your alarm even 5 minutes earlier so 6:55 then 6:50 and so on. Use that 5 minutes to do something... anything! Walk, do some crunches, have a dvd cued up and just get a little sweat on. It's tough to start but once you do you'll notice how much more positive you are and how much better your day is!
- Everyone says it and so will I - EAT BREAKFAST especially after you 5+ day kickstart workout! I don't believe in huge drastic changes.. ease into breakfast or a healthier breakfast then you are less likely to give up! You like sweet breakfasts like pastries? Try Greek Yogurt - lots of protein and so yummy! I love plain Greek Yogurt with a little local honey in it. Trade in those sugary cereals for brands like Kashi which are whole grain high in protein & fiber and will keep you full longer and no sugar crash! If you like eggs and not eggs whites what I like to do is one egg and one egg white - I throw in some spinach and mushrooms usually. If you're not a veggie person just start off with a tiny bit of a veggie and if you need to throw in some low fat cheese (or something like feta) and slow up the veggie portion and decrease the cheese!
- If you like oatmeal one of my favorites is old fashioned oats, scoop of whey protein powder, and raisins with a little cinnamon.
- I know no carb diets are popular and I limit my carb intake but in my opinion carbs=energy and you need energy in the AM. The thing is you don't want to "sleep on energy/carbs". Again, ease into it but for me no carbs after 5:00pm and I go to bed relatively late. If you want to eat carbs as I always say "Whole grain or bust!". Whole grain has more fiber, is usually more hunger satisfying and has much more nutrients then white flour products. Make a bunch of brown rice and keep it in a tupperware so you don't just eat it at night when you have time to make it (Great in eggs, with lunch). I also space out my carbs - "Ok, I have had a whole wheat english muffin 3 times this week, I'm going to skip it today".
- Drink lots of water. I know some people hate water and if you need a little help from Crystal Lite.. Then so be it. Keep your body hydrated! Never consume anything with high fructose corn syrup, stay away from drinks branded as energy or sports drinks (gatorade, powerade, even vitamin water [if anything get the zero version] - they have a LOT of sugar! For me as long as I keep a water bottle by me when I'm out & about, on the computer, near my bed - I find myself unconsciously reaching for it and BAM I'm a few bottles down! I like to use reusable aluminum bottles :)
- Many times when you think you're hungry you're actually thirsty! If it's not necessarily meal time yet and you want to snack try drinking down a big glass of water and wait ten minutes. If you're still hungry - eat! The benefit of doing this anyway is you'll be less likely to over eat now! If I know I'm going to be out and about I'll literally keep a gallon jug of water on me.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
"Quick Tips" primarily for Breakfast & Morning time
Good Afternoon! As always.. thanks for tuning in!
Sometimes I don't really have enough for a blog per say, but chatting with different friends these last few days I have been slowly remembering just easy "Quick Tips" for healthy living. I will reiterate I am not a nutritionist, I am not a personal trainer, and these tips may not work for everyone. My goal in all of this is to motivate, push, encourage and hope that in some way I can help inspire you into some form of bettering your life. :) And I hope all of you know I am ALWAYS here for specific tips, questions.. or just support. I never push my beliefs on anyone, but lately I really feel like God is steering me and working directly through me :)
Morning & Breakfast Quick Tip's (Note: I will probably be continually adding to this as I remember as well as learn new great tips!)
More to come! I have many general throughout the day tips that I will post all together in my next blog. If you have more to add or questions - write me or comment! firstname.lastname@example.org
No excuses start incorporating a few tips in every day! Trust me.. eating well and taking care of yourself starts making everything in your life better and goals & dreams seem so much for feasible!
Lots of love...